Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
The secret to great roasted brussels sprouts is to lightly blanch them in salted water for a few minutes before roasting. They can be blanched up to a day ahead of time and roasted at the last minute.
- 1 pound baby Brussels sprouts – shaved or halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 slices Applewood smoked bacon, cooked crisp
- 3 Tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 dab unsalted butter, optional
Preheat oven to 400°.
Blanch brussels sprouts in boiling, salted water, drain and plunge into an ice water bath. Drain and dry.
Mix brussels sprouts with olive oil and vinegar, spread on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Season with a sprinkling of sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
Roast for 45 minutes, or until fork tender, turning several times during cooking for even browning. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Toss with toasted almonds and bacon pieces and a dab of fresh unsalted butter if desired. Serve hot.