Caesar Salad with Spring Asparagus
- 2 bunches pencil-thin asparagus, trimmed and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (or 1 anchovy filet)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 head romaine hearts, chopped
Prepare a large bowl with ice and cold water, set aside to blanch the asparagus.
Bring a saucepan big enough to hold the asparagus to a boil, add a heaping tablespoon of salt and plunge the asparagus into the water, boil for 2 minutes. Drain the asparagus and put into the water bath until cooled, drain and set aside on a baking sheet covered with paper towels.
Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and anchovy paste in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. While whisking constantly, add the olive oil in a thin, steady stream until incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss the romaine with a little of the dressing. Transfer to a serving platter and top with asparagus and the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve extra dressing on the side.