Ceviche with Avocado and Tomato Broth
- 1 pound white fish halibut, red snapper, sole,
- 2 teaspoons mild or hot pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 large rib celery, cut into a small dice
- 1 medium tomato, cut into the same size as the fish, squeeze out the seeds
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, or enough to cover ingredients
- 1 splash olive oil
- Tomato Broth
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cucumber, peeled, rough chopped
- 1 small shallot, rough chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 Haas avocadoes, peeled, cut in half, pit removed
- 1 lemon or lime zested
- cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Chop the white fish into small dice, add to a mixing bowl and set aside.
Clean the pepper of stems, seeds and ribs and mince into a fine dice. You may want to wear glove to do this.
Mix all ingredients together well; making sure it’s all covered by the lime juice and olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Place the bread into the bowl of a food processor and process until you have coarse crumbs. Add remaining ingredient and process until pureed. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Ladle some tomato broth into a cup or bowl. Place avocado into center of bowl, place ceviche into the center and top with lemon zest and a sprig of cilantro.