- 1 ½ cups flour (I recommend King Arthur flour)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, or Kosher
- ½ tablespoon sugar, optional
- 6 tablespoons frozen unsalted butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons cold shortening such as Smart Balance
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 4 pounds mixed apples
- 1 Deep Dish Uncooked Pie Crust
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon,
- 3 teaspoons apple pie spice
- ½ cup flour
- 5 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Place the flour, salt and sugar if using into the bowl of a food processor, pulse to blend. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until they are about the size of peas.
- Pour out the mixture into a bowl and add the ice water a tablespoon at a time. Toss until the dough comes together in a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 min. or until cold.
- On a rolpat or well-floured board, roll the dough into a circle large enough to fit the pie pan. Keep moving the dough around as you roll so that it doesn’t stick to the board or counter. Gently roll the dough onto the rolling pin and lay into the pie pan, lifting and securing snuggly into the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Combine the cinnamon, apple pie spice, flour, cornstarch and sugar in a bowl and mix them well.
- Wash the apples in cool water, peel, core and slice the apples. Toss the apples with a little of the dry mixture and layer them into the pie crust and sprinkle with the remaining dry mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn heat down to 375° and continue baking for about 45 minutes or until you can pierce the apples with a knife.
- Let cool before slicing.